Home »  News »  India

We will vote against FDI in Rajya Sabha: SP leader

Thursday, 29 November 2012 - 1:38pm IST | Place: New Delhi | Agency: PTI

SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav made the announcement soon after Rajya Sabha chairman Hamid Ansari convened an all-party meeting.

The Samajwadi Party (SP) Thursday said it would vote against foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail in the Rajya Sabha even as it continues to support the government on the issue in the Lok Sabha.

"If there is a vote on FDI in Rajya Sabha we will vote against it… we will not let it pass," party leader Ram Gopal Yadav said.

Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar allowed a debate with voting rights under Rrule 184 in the upper house. Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajeev Shukla announced that a debate with voting rights would also take place in Rajya Sabha.

Earlier in the day, the Rajya Sabha was adjourned for the fifth day following a ruckus by SP MPs over a proposal to introduce quota in job promotions while BJP members demanded a debate on FDI in multi-brand retail.

Both houses of parliament have been seeing disruptions since the winter session began November 22. The SP lends outside support to the United Progressive Alliance government.

Asked about the party's opposition to the Bill on reservation in promotion for SC/ST officials, Yadav said, "We are talking about safeguarding the interests of 80 per cent people of the country and at the same time, we are not against the interests of the rest 20% also."

He said the party was in favour of reservation in jobs but "we don't support reservation in promotion in government jobs. This proposal is wrong and unconstitutional. The Supreme Court has rejected it and it would be wrong to implement it by forming a law. "

Yadav said SP has informed the government that it will oppose the Bill in Parliament. "Our strength in Rajya Sabha may be less but when it comes for discussion, we will oppose it... We will not let it to be cleared. We are committed on this issue," the SP leader said.

Jump to comments

Recommended Content