Salient points of the new Lokpal bill that was cleared on Thursday by the cabinet headed by the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
Salient points of the new Lokpal bill that was cleared on Thursday by the cabinet headed by the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh:
- The Lokpal at the centre has been delinked from Lokayukta in the states.
- State government will have to enact a law for setting up Lokayukta within a year of the central government passing the Lokpal bill.
- The prime minister's office will be under the Lokpal, with some riders related to national security and external affairs.
- Officials facing a preliminary probe will be given a hearing.
- Lokpal will have no power to transfer Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) officials investigating a case referred by it.
- Director prosecution of the CBI will be selected by the chief vigilance commissioner.
- The selection panel for the Lokpal will comprise the prime minister, speaker and leader of opposition in Lok Sabha, Chief Justice of India and an eminent jurist.
- Prime minister, the leader of opposition in the lower house and the chief justice of India will select the CBI director.
- Charitable institutions aided by the government will come under Lokpal.