* "Opposition should read atleast something about Sardar Patel before building the statue," says Rahul Gandhi. "The very people who are making a statue of Sardar Patel, are the ones who were protesting when Ahmedabad airport was being named after Patelji," he accuses. "In fact, BJP says that they want to wipe out Congress, but Congress was made by leaders like Sardar Patel, Gandhiji. How can they want to do away with that same organisation?"
"It was Sardar Patel who said that the RSS ideology is poisonous and can destroy the very soul of India," he adds.
* Further he adds, "BJP does not have an ideology, no revolutionary ideas. They just have anger and they make one fight with another."
* BJP opposed computerisation earlier and now they try to take credit for it, he says. "Don't be surprised if after 10 years these BJP leaders start claiming that they brought MNREGA," he says.
* "Amul was made successful by the women of Gujarat," he praises. "But now, lakhs of acres are being snatched away from the poor and being given to industrialists," he adds. "Gujarat is only shining for 10-15 industrialists."
* Taking a jibe at Narendra Modi's comment he says, "India does not need a watchman."
* "Children are dying, there is malnutrition and they claim Gujarat is shining," he continues. "Those who are above BPL but below the middle class, we aim to bring them to the middle class," he promises.
* "Netas should go to the people and listen, understand them, not give speeches," he says "But the BJP only talk about what they've done and what they want to do.. they don't listen."
"For the last 10 years, UPA has listened to the voice of the people."
— Ronak Vinayak (@RonakVinayak) March 11, 2014
They talk about eliminating Congress- The same party which was built by Sardar Patel and Gandhi ji : Rahul Gandhi #KattarSochNahiYuvaJosh
— Shehzada Dhruv (@dhruv520) March 11, 2014
— Shriraj Kesariya (@_shriraj) March 11, 2014
Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi will again be on the home turf of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi with a day-long visit to the state today.
He will first address salt pan workers in Gujarat's Rann of Kutch area in Surendranagar district. He will later address a public rally in Balasinore township of Kheda district.
This will be Rahul Gandhi's second visit to Gujarat in a month. He had attended the culmination of his party's Vikas Khoj Yatra last month. Gandhi had earlier said that it was people's perseverance and hard work that led to Gujarat's development, and not due to one man who takes credit for everything. "It was people's sweat that brought development to Gujarat and not due to one man who takes credit for everything," he said while addressing a rally in Bardoli last month.
He further said that the Congress Government brought Right to information (RTI) to the entire nation, and charged Modi for not letting Lokayukta pass in Gujarat for almost nine years. "Congress brought RTI to the entire nation. Modi did not let Lokayukta pass in Gujarat for nine years. If BJP is really against corruption, why not help the Congress pass the six bills pending in the Parliament?" he questioned.
He also said that the Congress wants to empower everyone, and added that the Gujarat government is run by the rich. "Congress wants to empower everyone, the tribals, the poor, farmers. We live for the Congress party, for the poor. Corruption is in Gujarat. They do not see corruption in Gujarat. The Gujarat government is run by the rich. All the state government can do is promise to build statues," he said.
"Who fought for the farmers and their land? It was Congress. We helped 14 crore go above poverty line. Congress Government talks of removing poverty but the Gujarat Government talks of removing the poor," he added.
(With agency inputs)