Home »  News »  India

DU rolls back FYUP, reverts to three-year structure

Friday, 27 June 2014 - 2:15pm IST | Place: New Delhi | Agency: PTI
  • Students had earlier staged protest outside UGC Manit Balmiki

Under pressure from UGC to act on its directive, the Delhi University today scrapped its controversial four-year undergraduate programme and reverted to the previous three-year structure.

In a statement, DU Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh asked principals of various colleges affiliated to the varsity to start admissions for the new session.

"In line with the directive of the UGC, the University has decided to roll back the FYUP. Consequently, the admission process shall be conducted under the scheme of courses that were in force in the academic session 2012-13 in all the colleges of the University of Delhi," Singh said.

The decision puts an end to the uncertainty over the admission process for 2014-15 which was triggered due to the stand-off between DU and UGC over FYUP.

Over 2.7 lakh students have applied for admission to more than 54,000 seats in 64 colleges of the varsity.

The admissions were to begin on June 24 but have been delayed due to the stalemate.

Singh said DU recognises the need of the hour and it is of "paramount importance" to protect the interests of the students by ensuring the start of the admission process.

"It is expected that the principals of our colleges shall assist in devising and ensuring a speedy completion of the admission process," he said. 




Jump to comments

RELATED