t’s been quite some time since Indian Olympic Association acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra announced the three-member election commission under the chairmanship of former chief election commissioner SY Qureshi to oversee the conduct of November 25 elections. However, none from the IOA or sports ministry has contacted the members to present their side of the story.
The only letter that Qureshi has so far got is from Congress leader Jagdish Tytler, who has urged him to ensure that the trio of Suresh Kalmadi, Lalit Bhanot and VK Verma be barred from contesting.
Qureshi has been named to head the panel which also has former Kerala chief justice VK Bali and retired Delhi High court justice JD Kapur as its members. Talking to DNA, the former CEC admitted that he has been perusing the content of the letter. “I’ll take a view on this in the next two-three days. But before that I need to cross check with International Olympic Committee about the status of all three officials mentioned in this letter,” Qureshi said.
On the new sports code, Qureshi asked for more time to study the issue. “There are two other members in the committee and I wish to call a meeting soon to discuss the road map. As far as taking a call on the election issue, I can only say that the IOA had sent me the constitutions of the IOA and IOC. But no one from the ministry has till now got in touch with me to explain their stand on the issue,” he said.
A ministry official said the delay was due to recent festivals. “The matter is under consideration and early next week a formal meeting will be sought with the commission. There is still a month to go for the elections,” said the official.