Residents of illegal flats at Worli’s Campa Cola compound may propose part self-demolition of the structures to save a majority of homes facing the BMC hammer following FSI violations.
Following the January 20 Supreme Court (SC) direction, counsels representing the residents and Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation will have to work out a solution this week to resolve the row.
If the authorities consider the plan to demolish surplus FSI, only those structures/flats occupying a surplus area of 1,774 sq m will have to be razed. At present, the total developed area at the compound measures up to 19,600 sq m. “The option of part demolition of illegal flats looks viable as of now. This will help us remove the illegality or surplus FSI consumed and also we will be able to save a majority of the residences. We want a legal solution to the issue,” said a resident.
He, however, said the plan is yet to be finalised. “Though we are considering a part self-demolition plan, the proposal details are yet to be worked out. Besides, counsels from both the sides have not discussed the same yet,” the resident added.
In return of part demolition, the residents are thinking of offering compensation to those occupants who are set to be affected by the plan. “We will give them adequate compensation; adequate enough for them to buy new homes. We will not let them face any hardship,” the resident said, adding that there is mutual understanding among occupants as they try to find a way out.
The SC had on February 27 last year ordered demolition of 102 unauthorised flats across seven buildings in the compound. Accordingly, the BMC began demolition of illegal structures in November, 2013. However, a day-and-half into the demolition, the apex court took suo moto cognizance of the residents’ hardships and granted them a six-month breather to vacate homes.
In December, the residents claimed to have unearthed certain documents through RTI which show that the BMC had in 1986-87 considered regularisation of the flats in lieu of penalty. The documents suggested developers of the buildings had made partial payment of the penalty, resulting in non-regularisation of the structures, the residents added. Making a case out of the documents, the residents approached the SC last month.