Home »  News »  India »  Mumbai

Ness vs Preity: Cops in pavilion claim they hadn't seen or heard anything

Wednesday, 18 June 2014 - 7:40am IST | Agency: dna

The Marine Drive police have questioned several policemen in connection with the allegations made by Preity Zinta, co-owner of IPL team Kings XI Punjab, against industrialist Ness Wadia. The police have, however, not received any corroborative evidence.

According to police, Venue Control Operations box where the alleged incident occurred, is manned by cops. However, the cops present in the box at that time have said they hadn't seen or heard anything that hinted the two were arguing.

Police have so far scrutinised only two of the five CCTV cameras installed in Garware pavilion. They said they would check footage from all CCTV cameras.

Cops have also written to BCCI authorities seeking the list of people in the pavilion on that day and the seating arrangement. They expect these details within two days. They will also conduct a spot panchnama.
Zinta in her complaint has said she had informed IPL chairman Ranjib Biswal about Wadia's behaviour. "We will record Biswal's statement," a police officer said.

The police have also asked Zinta to submit a copy of the email she claimed she had sent Wadia after his alleged misbehaviour during IPL auction, and also the reply he had sent her. Cops are also likely to record the statement of Wadia's mother who was present when the alleged incident occurred.

A senior officer said: "We will seek legal opinion on whether additional sections can be invoked in the case. Once the picture is clear, we may add more. Section 354 amounts to only sexual harassment, which, as per Zinta's complaint, has not occurred in this case. Once we get court approval, we will decide on the next course of action."

Last Friday Zinta had lodged a complaint against Wadia under IPC sections 354 (outraging modesty of a woman), 504 (criminal intimidation) and 509 (word, gesture intended to outrage modesty of woman).

According to her complaint, Wadia publicly humiliated her and used abusive language on May 30. She had not approached cops immediately as she had to go out of city, she had claimed. Wadia, through a statement, had rubbished the allegations as 'false and baseless.'

Jump to comments

Recommended Content