The state government, on Monday, informed the Bombay high court that it has initiated action against people who had got double allotments of flats in Mumbai or in two other cities under the chief minister's discretionary quota.
In an affidavit filed in the court, the state has stated that action in the form of criminal prosecution had been initiated against two persons found to have been given double allotments. There are 14 such cases.
It was a former journalist, Ketan Tirodkar, who had brought the issue before the court through a public interest litigation (PIL). Tirodkar, however, disputed the claim, and said that the government had not taken action against those who had been allotted more than a flat, either by filing a FIR or cancelling the allotments. He also said the list the state had submitted in the court was not exhaustive and some names were missing.
He said it had been wrongly stated in the affidavit that a journalist couple, who were allotted two houses in their individual names in 1995, were not related to each other. They were, in fact, married and staying together, he added.
A bench headed by Justice Abhay Oka then directed the petitioner to file an affidavit within a week pointing out the irregularities in the government affidavit and also mention the names of people who he knew had got two or more flats allotted from the CM's quota. The hearing has been adjourned to March 10.
An earlier affidavit said the government had detected 101 cases where blood relatives of those who had been allotted houses had been given houses from the CM's quota in the same urban agglomeration or in other urban area. Ten cases had been identified where same persons were allotted tenements in the 2% quota of the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA) as well as in 5% quota under the Urban Land Ceiling Act.