The Home Ministry in a communication has asked the state government to clarify why the 54-year-old Bollywood actor has been given special privilege by granting parole thrice within less than a year since he went to jail.
Dutt was convicted by the Supreme Court for illegal possession of arms in connection with the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case and was sentenced to six years of imprisonment. He had earlier served 18 months of jail and had surrendered himself before a Mumbai court on May 18, 2013 to serve the remaining period of his imprisonment.
Since then, Dutt has been granted parole three times by the Maharashtra government. Dutt has been out on parole since December 21 and was to return to the Yerawada Jail in Pune on February 21. Reports said he had again applied for parole in order to attend his ailing wife and look after his twin children and his wish was reportedly granted and his parole was again extended till March 21.
The Bombay High Court is also expected to hear a petition tomorrow which questioned the discretion used by authorities in granting parole and furlough to Dutt.
Earlier, Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil had said the state government will investigate allegations that the actor was being provided alcohol in jail.