After claiming attack, US national quietly leaves Mumbai

Thursday, 16 January 2014 - 7:35am IST | Agency: DNA

The incident, in which a US national was attacked by three assailants in Powai on Tuesday morning, has turned murkier, with the victim quietly leaving the country. At the same time, preliminary investigations by the police indicate that David Parish, 51, may not have even left the hotel premises at the time of the alleged attack.

Additional commissioner of police Vishwas Nangre Patil confirmed that Parish had indeed left the country and may have reportedly gone back to the US. “It is premature to comment on anything regarding the case. We are verifying facts and scrutinizing CCTV footages from inside the hotel, where he was staying just to ensure at what time he left the hotel for his morning walk,” Patil said.

Some of the things which have left the Powai police bewildered are the fact that L&T staffer Parish had come to Mumbai on Monday and checked into a hotel there. After the alleged attack, he left without informing the police even though he was personally present at the police station to lodge a complaint. “We have information that he had informed officials at L&T, but we need to verify it,” said a senior police official on conditions of anonymity.

“Another confusing aspect is there are unconfirmed reports that the US national may not have even left the hotel premises when the alleged offence took place. We are scrutinizing CCTV footages from inside the hotel premises to verify this claim,” the official informed.

According to unverified information received by Powai police, Parish was reportedly unhappy about him being sent to India and wanted posting in any country other than India. And to get away from India, the story regarding the attack was concocted. “At this stage of investigation it is difficult to confirm if this is true, but we are examining all possible angles,” the officer said.

According to the police,  the incident took place on Tuesday around 6.30 when Parish went for morning walk. Three bikers stopped him and demanded money from him. But when he resisted, they slashed his back. Parish then punched two of three, forcing them to retreat.

Jump to comments

Around the web