Home »  News »  India

Uttarakhand government to move Supreme Court against ban on hydro-power projects

Friday, 23 May 2014 - 3:04pm IST | Place: Dehradun | Agency: PTI

The Uttarakhand Government has decided to move the Supreme Court against the ban imposed on its hydroelectric power projects.

The decision was taken at a meeting headed by Chief Minister Harish Rawat yesterday. It has been decided that the government will consult Power ministry and experts in this regard, officials said today.

The government has also decided to hire prominent advocates to handle the case, they added.

After last year's natural calamity, the Supreme Court had constituted a High Level Committee for an assessment of hydro-power projects and present a detailed report on it.

However, the committee's opinion was divided on the matter. Some members proposed for continuation of ban while others argued for the completion of stalled projects.

In 2008, the government had banned 480 MW Pala Maneri along with another 381 MW power project following hunger strike by environmentalist GD Agarwal.

Later, the Centre imposed ban on NTPC's 600 MW Loharinag Pala hydro-power Project and several other projects being constructed on river Ganga.

Citing the example of the neighbouring Himachal Pradesh, the government said that it is selling electricity worth Rs 1,500 crore per year while Uttarakhand is bound to purchase electricity worth Rs 1,000 crore.

Avadesh Kaushal, founder of Rural Litigation and Entitlement Center (RLEK), said he will be writing a letter to PM-designate Narendra Modi soon seeking his support in lifting the ban imposed on these projects.

During his public gathering here last year, Modi had said that completion of these projects was necessary for the development of the area.

 




Jump to comments