Nine persons, arrested in connection with 2006 Malegaon blasts, have moved a special Maharashtra Control of Organized Crime Act (MCOCA) court, seeking that CBI be directed to produce a copy of the confession of Swami Aseemanand allegedly involved in Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad.
"The application was made after the special Delhi court rejected our application seeking a copy of Assemanand's confession," defense lawyer Kalhid Azmi said.
Aseemanand, arrested in November last for his alleged role in 2007 Mecca Masjid blasts, had in his confession recorded before the magistrate last month, reportedly said a right-wing group was responsible for 2006 Malegoan blasts which killed 36 people and injured over 100.
Nine Muslim men, who were arrested in the case and are in jail for the past four years, had moved the MCOCA court here on January 17 seeking bail, citing Aseemanand's confession pointing to a right-wing group's involvement in the attack.
However, the court had directed the defense lawyers to get the copy of the confession from the Delhi court.
"When we approached the Delhi court, the court though rejected our application seeking the confessional copy, said a copy has already been given to CBI," said Azmi.
The court has directed CBI to file its response on February 9.
The blasts took place near Hamidia mosque in the Bada Kabristan area on September 8, 2006.
The police had arrested nine persons - Salman Farsi, Shabir Ahmed, Noorulhuda Doha, Rais Ahmed, Mohammed Ali, Asif Khan, Javed Sheikh, Farooque Ansari and Abrar Ahmed - for their alleged involvement in the blasts.