CRPF and Army personnel posted on Road Opening Party duty at Hyderpora claimed that two gunmen allegedly opened fire at them but no one was hurt in the incident.
The personnel on duty initially told reporters that the assailants were travelling in a car but told their senior officers, who visited the spot, that the militants were motorcycle borne.
DIG, CRPF, R Rajasekaran told reporters that they are investigating the claim of the personnel on duty.
He admitted that no empty cases of bullets, which were reportedly fired by militants, were found on the spot.
"If the militants were travelling on a motorcycle, the empty cases should have been there. We have not found anything so far," he said.
However, local residents and shopkeepers in the area said they did not hear any gunshots, contesting the claim of the security forces.
The alleged incident took place at the same spot where militants attacked an Army convoy on the eve of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's visit to the valley on June 24 last year which left eight army personnel dead and 16 others injured.