Lyricist and poet Javed Akhtar, eminent editor HK Dua, Prof CNR Rao (chairman of the scientific advisory council to the PM), and former Isro chairman G Madhavan Nair are being nominated to the Rajya Sabha, the government said on Monday.
The four have been nominated in place of Hema Malini, Dara Singh, Dr Chandan Mitra and Dr Narain Singh Manaklao, whose term expired in August. K Kasturirangan and Bimal Jalan too retired in August, but the government is yet to decide on who will fill in their vacancies.
Under article 80 of the Constitution, the President of India nominates 12 members to the Rajya Sabha for a term of six years. Nominated members should have "special knowledge or practical experience in fields like literature, science, art or social service." The practice of nominating MPs to the upper house began in 1952 and like all Rajya Sabha members one-third nominated members must retire every two years.
Javed Akhtar received the Padma Bhushan in 2007 and the Padmashri in 1999. His wife, actress Shabana Azmi, was a Rajya Sabha member from 1997 to 2003. HK Dua has edited The Times of India, Hindustan Times and The Indian Express and now edits The Tribune. A Padma Bhushan, he has also served as media adviser to former PMs HD Deve Gowda and AB Vajpayee.
G Madhavan Nair is the chairman, Space Commission, and acting chairman of governing body, Antrix Corporation, Bangalore. He received the Padma Vibhushan in January. Prof CNR Rao is honorary president of Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore.
- Sheila Dikshit: Curtains for the matriarch
- BJP will form governments in four states: Rajnath Singh
- We will give you party you will be proud of: Rahul Gandhi
- HC notice to Shah Rukh Khan, BMC in sex determination case
- Congress leaders admit defeat but keen to shield Rahul Gandhi
- Will do deep introspection of Congress performance: Sonia Gandhi
- Need for change drove people to AAP, say supporters
- After hat-trick, Shivraj Singh Chouhan vows to win maximum Lok Sabha seats in Madhya Pradesh
- Gulf 'important artery' for flow of goods and people: Salman Khurshid
- Aam Aadmi Party's rise, a matter of concern for both BJP, Congress: Rajiv Pratap Rudy
- Delhi Assembly elections result 2013: BJP, AAP war it out, Sheila Dikshit silently retreats - 5 hours ago
- Live! Big win for BJP in Assemly Elections, rout for Congress - 23 hours ago
- Sofia Hayat eliminated from 'Bigg Boss 7' - 20 hours ago
- LIVE Madhya Pradesh Assembly election result 2013: BJP triumphs with 162 seats while Congress loses again - 4 hours ago
- Chhattisgarh Assembly elections result 2013 - BJP-Congress fight a see-saw battle; BJP ahead with 47 seats, Congress trails at 40 - 6 hours ago