Home »  News »  India

Fire in pharma unit kills 5, injures 3

Sunday, 13 November 2011 - 6:10pm IST | Place: Ahmedabad | Agency: DNA
Five labourers were killed and three others seriously injured in a major fire that erupted in the bottling process chamber of a pharmaceutical company near Kadi.

Five labourers were killed and three others seriously injured in a major fire that erupted in the bottling process chamber of a pharmaceutical company near Kadi in Mehsana district on Saturday.

The fire broke out at around 11 am in a medicinal alcohol bottling unit of Kayvee Aeropharm Company in Kadi GIDC.

According to fire officials, the manufacturing and packing of an alcohol-based liquid, used by doctors as an antiseptic to clean patients' wounds, was being done inside an air-tight room. 

The bottling chamber was approximately 25x12 feet in dimension and it didn't have any exit doors except the main air-tight entrance. The fire suddenly started inside the chamber when alcohol was being transferred from huge barrels to small bottles. Fire officials believe that a short circuit set off the fire.

The incident took place when workers were bottling the alcohol meant to be supplied to an MNC, which ran hospitals across India.

Since the chamber was totally closed, the fire spread quickly inside it where eight employees were on duty. Within 15 minutes, five labourers working inside were charred to death. The victims have been identified as Natu Chauhan, Shankar Thakor, Bharat Thakor, Deva Thakor, and Mangaji Thakor.

Four fire tenders from Kadi, Mehsana and Kalol rushed to the spot. They doused the flames by 11:45 am. The fire fighters had to break the back portion of the wall of the chamber to pull out the injured workers and the bodies of the 5 victims.

The injured were rushed to Sola Civil Hospital in Ahmedabad. Govind Thakor, Raysang Thakor and Shivaji Thakor were the ones injured in the tragedy.




Jump to comments