Amid apprehension that the World Chess Championship title contest between reigning champion Magnus Carlsen and former winner Vishwanathan Anand could be postponed, the Indian ace is hoping the rematch would go ahead and be held in Sochi, Russia, in November.
"At the moment we have a firm offer from Sochi and this (former champion Gary Kasparov's comment) is probably just part of the last minute campaigning rather than anything else," Anand told PTI in an interview here today.
The five-time world champion was referring to the upcoming contest between Kasparov and incumbent president of world chess body, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, for gaining control of FIDE at its elections scheduled in Norway on August 11.
"The only thing pending is the result of the election. At the moment everything seems set. We do have a firm offer from Sochi and the contract is there, everything is there," the five-time world champion and former world number one said.
Kasparov stated recently that if elected as the new FIDE president, the championship rematch would be held not earlier than March, 2015, citing lack of sponsors.
FIDE had earlier announced that Sochi has offered to host the championship, tentatively scheduled from November 7-26.
Anand said things would get clearer after the FIDE elections though he has started training for the event if it's held in November. "Anyway, FIDE election happens in two days, so everything is kind of hanging in the air till that. Only two days are left and a lot of things will get clear after the FIDE elections."
Anand was satisfied about his preparation for the tough rematch against Carlsen, for which he qualified by winning the Candidates Tournament title earlier this year.