Home »  News »  India »  Pune

Senior PI hurt as revolver misfires while cleaning

Thursday, 26 September 2013 - 2:45am IST | Place: Pune | Agency: dna

A senior police inspector was injured after his service revolver misfired while he was cleaning it on Tuesday night. The incident took place at his home at Bibvewadi’s Vaibhav Society. The injured inspector, Shailendra Shinde, is presently the in-charge of Bibvewadi police station.

Deputy commissioner of police (Zone II) Ramnath Pokale said, “Shinde went home at 11pm on Tuesday. He took out his service revolver to clean it as usual. He had removed five bullets from the revolver and was struggling to take out the last one which had got stuck in the magazine. While doing this, he accidentally touched the trigger and the revolver fired. The bullet pierced through his right leg, hit the cushion sofa and then hit the ground.”

Shinde’s wife was in the kitchen and his two sons were sleeping. His son rushed him to a private hospital. He is out of danger.
Pokale was however silent on weather the service revolver misfired because it was of sub-standard quality.

However, sources in the police department claimed that most of the service revolvers  were of sub-standard quality. Most of the time, they get jammed and fail to fire when required.

“We practise firing once in a year. So we hardly know much about our service revolvers. The firing practice should be conducted frequently,” said a senior police inspector.

Jump to comments

Recommended Content