When Falguni and Shane Peacock decided to go ahead with their participation in the London Fashion Week (LFW), they didn't expect a great response.
"We showed there as we didn't want to break the continuity; we had, after all, shown there last season," explains Falguni on the phone from London. So after their show on February 22, while the media responses were positive enough, the buyers too have come calling. "The orders may be less than the last time around, but more than we anticipated," enthuses Shane.
What's even more interesting is that the duo got to meet the British PM Gordon Brown's wife, Sarah Brown, in person. "She visited our stall at the British Fashion Council (BFC) exhibition and it was a real pleasure meeting her. She is a very stylish person and carries herself with great élan. It was an official visit," notes Falguni, adding that Mrs Brown done her homework and seemed to know quite a lot about their label.
"We showed her around and explained our design philosophy to her. She seemed most interested. In fact, she even congratulated us for Slumdog Millionaire's Oscar sweep," she says, adding that Mrs Brown particularly loved the accessories on display at the stall. And if that's not enough, there was British supermodel Erin O'Connor (also the face of the BFC) who also visited them.
The peacocks' London line
Falguni and Shane produced a collection of dresses and tailored pieces dramatically rich in textures, colours and shapes. The assymetric evening dresses have an almost operatic feel with plunging necklines, pleats and vents, enveloping and swirling around the body.
There is also an 80s feel to knee length dresses, the skirt super-tight while the top zippered. Many of the pieces are hand worked, richly embroidered and appliquéd with crystals, feathers, mesh and even steel wool. Prints are abstract and pixilated, even psychedelic.
- Street Food Discoveries: Pasta, this time it's Mongolian
- Eternalising the moment
- Art on the move
- Bring out the blazers: versatile fashion for the winter
- The King of Cufflinks
- Swaying along with folk dance and culture
- BMW X6 M 'Design Edition' launched
- Beached up in konkan
- Coca Cola to debut new low-calorie Coke next year
- The rare and the beautiful
- Aamir Khan feels Shah Rukh Khan will do great job in next 'Dhoom' franchise - 18 hours ago
- Katrina Kaif reveals at Ranbir Kapoor's wedding 'Besharam' will be the song she chooses to dance on - 21 hours ago
- Paul Walker's funeral planned for weekend - 20 hours ago
- Great Online Shopping Festival crashes on Day 1; Google India apologise for inconvenience - 20 hours ago
- I'm most disappointed: Aamir Khan on anti-gay judgement - 16 hours ago