Home »  News »  India

Delhi University admission process starts on Monday

Sunday, 1 June 2014 - 4:40pm IST | Place: New Delhi | Agency: PTI

The admission process for the 54,000 seats under Delhi University's four year undergraduate programme begins on Monday with the sale of admission forms.

Students aspiring to get admission in various colleges affiliated to the university can submit the centralised optical mark recognition (OMR) forms both online and offline from tomorrow till June 16, an official said.

The online OMR forms will be available on Delhi University's website (http://du.ac.in) whereas offline forms can be bought from 18 centres across North Campus, South Campus and other colleges of Delhi University.

The offline paper-forms will cost Rs 150 for general category students and Rs 70 for SC/ST students.

The online OMR forms, for which students will have to pay through internet banking, will be much cheaper to encourage filing of forms online.

General category students can fill the forms online by paying Rs 100 whereas for SC/ST students it will cost Rs 50.

The university has also launched an Android-based mobile application -- DU UG Admission 2014-15 -- through which students cannot only get all admission-related information but also fill online admission forms.

The first cut off list will be released on June 24, followed by up to nine more lists depending on seat availability till July 21.

Students will get three days to complete the enrolment process under each of the first five cut off lists.

This year, Delhi University, in an effort to make the admission process smoother and uniform, has prohibited colleges from imposing any extra eligibility criteria on students.

"A student applying in five different colleges will have the same criteria for admission in all of them. Colleges can no more impose any extra-eligibility criteria for students.

Rules will be same for all as set by the university," DU's media coordinator Malay Neerav has said.

Also, the option of choosing colleges in the form, which had been done away with last year, will be reintroduced and students can select as many colleges as they want to take admission.
Last year when the four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP) was introduced, students were only given the option to choose the course they wanted to study in the admission forms.

Much to the delight of students who had taken up one or more vocational subjects in Class XII, DU has this year provided the option to add board exam marks of these subjects in the best of four marks, required for admission to various colleges.

However, the students will face a deduction of 10% of the maximum marks from the marks scored in each of the vocational subjects included in the best of four.

Further, as per the admission guidelines this year, the university has said that that if a student who has not studied a particular subject in class XII but wants to study it at undergraduate level then there would be a deduction of two per cent from the aggregate of best-four subjects.

However, the DU authorities have advised students to fill the actual marks obtained in their board exams and not to deduct or add marks which they said will be done by the college authorities.

Admission to Hindi Journalism, Social Work and foreign language courses such as Italian, Spanish, French and German will be based on cut off marks from this year and no entrance examination will be held for these courses.

Procedure for admission to science and mathematical science courses will remain the same, the official said.

Those students seeking admission under sports and extra curricular activities quota will have to contact the colleges concerned to get separate forms for them.

Meanwhile, anti-FYUP protests have again gained momentum.

A delegation of DU teachers and students had recently met the new Human Resource Development Minister Smriti Irani and submitted a memorandum demanding the scrapping of the FYUP programme and sacking of Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh.

Members of Delhi University Students' Union and Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad have planned to stage protests at all the 18 admission centres tomorrow.

The four-year graduation programme had kicked up a massive controversy last year with several political parties also joining the students in their protest.

The four-year programme with multiple degree options had entailed a shift from the 10+2+3 scheme to a four-year graduation with multiple exit points.


Jump to comments