Here are some claims that have the Father of the Nation embroiled in controversy.
1. In a letter to Adolf Hitler, Gandhi had said, "We have no doubt about your bravery or devotion to your fatherland, nor do we believe that you are the monster described by your opponents." This according to many observers showed that Gandhi did not hold Hitler who killed many Jews accountable for his crimes.
2. Recently newly revealed letters added to speculation about Mahatma Gandhi being gay. As letters between a South African bodybuilder named Hermann Kallenbach and Gandhi suggested that the pair may have had a physical relationship.
3. The Poona Pact between Dr BR Ambedkar and Mahatma Gandhi was signed to save the latter's life as he was on a fast unto to death to stop separate electorate in parliament for Dalits. Many people say that the move appeared to deny the Dalits any real access to power.
4. Though people who followed Mahatma Gandhi's ways were given the Nobel Peace prize, Gandhi himself never won the prize. This has been a bone of controversy for quite some time.
5. Mahatma Gandhi had taken a public vow of celibacy at age 37 and toward the end of his life he undertook what he described as the last yajna or ritual to test his sexual impulses. His exercise involved by sleeping naked with young women in his ashram, including his 19-year-old grand-niece Manu Gandhi and Abha Gandhi, the 16-year-old wife of his grand-nephew Kanu Gandhi. He acknowledged “that this experiment is very dangerous indeed,” but insisted “that it was capable of yielding great results.” This has been viewed with suspicion by sceptics.