Chelsea skipper John Terry has launched an astonishing attack on German referee Wolfgang Stark in the wake of his club’s Champions League exit.
Terry, who could face a UEFA ban for his outburst, is adamant that Chelsea was refused two clear first-half penalties during their 1-0 defeat to Inter Milan on March 16.
“I am captain of the side and, when a decision didn't go our way, I went to speak to the referee. He turned his back on me. That is pure disrespect. What message does that send out?” News of the World quoted Terry, as saying.
“We have to go back into training and are assessed by the management. Players could be dropped. We didn't play well, but who is going to assess the referee?” he added.
The 29-year-old further cited last year’s Champions League exit at the hands of Barcelona as further evidence that Chelsea are getting a raw deal.
“This makes it two years running. I am not going to use the word ‘conspiracy’. That is not the term I am using. But I am so frustrated by what happened and it is not good enough. It has to be looked at. Frustrated is the least I can say and all the players feel the same,” Terry said.
“I owe it to our supporters to come out and speak honestly. Florent Malouda got fouled inside the box in the first half and the referee waved play on. Didier Drogba gets manhandled and if the referee misses it, we have the linesman,” he added.
He said that the team gives its best to get themselves in a strong position, but have been let down by bad refereeing for two years running.
“Fifty per cent was on us and 50 per cent minimum was the referee's influence. How can you come to Stamford Bridge and not give one foul, not one big decision to the home team? It is not possible,” Terry said.
“If I get myself in trouble, then so be it. I owe it to our fans to speak out. We need someone at the club to take it up with UEFA because it has gone on for two years now,” he added.