The Maharashtra Government on Monday announced 20 % cut in power tariff for the industrial and agriculture classes of consumers.
However, this decision excluded Mumbai consumers who get power supply from Tata Power, Reliance Infrastructure and Brihan Mumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST).
The state will bear a cost of Rs 7,000 crore towards payment of the subsidy.
Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) spokesperson Nawab Malik said that proposals for private electricity companies like Reliance and Tata Power etc. would also be presented before the cabinet in the next session.
“Today the Maharashtra government approved 20 % cut in power tariff charged to the state-run Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company's (MahaVitaran). The difference would be paid to the state electricity distribution company by the Maharashtra government. After the Rane committee submitted its report, the cabinet took the decision,’ he said.
“In the coming cabinet session, proposals for the private electricity companies like Reliance and Tata Power etc would be presented before the cabinet,” he added.
Meanwhile, Congress leader Sanjay Nirupam said that the protest will continue if the state government fails to reduce electricity tariff in Mumbai.
“On 1st when I wrote a letter, Chief Minister said that the recommendations by the Narayan Rane’s Committee are for farmers and industrial users. But they also said they will also work for residential users in Mumbai,” he said.
“I think today they only accepted the recommendations of the committee, and they might consider the Mumbai one later. If they fail to do it, our protest will continue,” he added.
Last week, Congress workers led by Sanjay Nirupam and Priya Dutt staged a protest outside the Kandivali West office of Reliance Energy demanding a reduction in electricity tariffs.