Fear and panic were the order of the hour after a massive fire broke out in the 20-floor Naman Midtown Tower in Parel area around 5.30pm on Saturday. The fire was so huge that almost 10 to 12 fire engines were called in to control it. The fire brigade took almost two hours to bring the situation under control.
According to initial reports, the fire which started due to short circuit on the 7th floor, spread quickly up to the 13th floor.
Bringing it under control was a tough job for fire fighters as the tower is a glass-enveloped building. “The entire building is enveloped by glass because of which there was a major problem of ventilation. And poor ventilation aggravated the fire,” fire brigade officials said.
Kapil Arun Kale, a fire official, was injured as a piece of hot glass fell on his feet as he was entering the building to conduct rescue operations. “While I was about to enter the building, a hot piece of glass fell on my feet. I immediately took first aid and then proceeded with my work,” said Kale.
One Prakash Wadte, a resident of Mhada colony, located next to the tower, said he noticed the fire around 5.30pm, and immediately informed fire officials.
Sonu Varma, an employee who had been struck inside the building, was in a state of shock even after having come out; doctors advised him rest. Varma said: “It was a terrifying moment. I thought it was the last day of my life and kept on praying. After some time, I saw some men dressed in blue uniform and cap, who asked me to accompany them. They assured me that I would be safe and took me out.”