A murder case has been filed by the police against the two main accused in the gang- rape of the 16-year-old girl, who died due to burn injuries, even as doctors treating the teenager said she was pregnant at the time of her death.
The death of the girl has sparked outrage in the metropolis with the family of the victim alleging that they have been threatened to leave the state by the city police.
"We have filed a murder case against the two main accused on the basis of the final statement of the girl in which she had said that she was set on fire," Additional Commissioner of Police (Bidhannagar police) Anant told PTI today. "The doctor who was treating the girl also told us that the girl was pregnant at the time of the death. We have send the foetus to the forensic science laboratory for determination of the age of the foetus," he said.
The victim, who was gang raped twice in October had died on December 31, following burn injuries. Her family members had claimed that she was burnt alive by the culprits. They met West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan yesterday and demanded death penalty for the rapists and security for the family. The family had also alleged that they have been threatened to leave the state by the city police along with the body of their daughter.
According to reports, the girl was first gang-raped on October 25 at Madhyamgram in the northern fringes of the city and found lying in a field near her house. She was forcibly taken away by the same gang and gang-raped again when she was returning home with her parents after lodging a complaint with the local police station.
The severely injured girl was later found lying unconscious near the railway track at Madhyamgram the same day. Her family thereafter changed their residence from Madhyamgram to Dum Dum in the city.
Six people were arrested after local residents demanded immediate action against the gang, but the victim's family members alleged that on December 23, a close associate of the gang leader Chottu had visited their Dum Dum residence and threatened them with dire consequences if the girl did not withdraw her complaint.
The girl received the fatal burn injuries the same day at her home. The girl who died of high degree burns, said in her dying declaration her attackers set her afire, a top officer of the Bidhannagar Police Commissionerate said Wednesday.
* Calcutta High Court asks West Bengal government about its position on CBI probe on gang-rape. Read here
* Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar today denied interfering in the probe into the gangrape of a 16-year-old girl, beyond merely responding to people's 'sentiments' by deputing a senior police official to visit West Bengal and providing financial assistance to the victim's family. Read more here
* Demanding a CBI probe, the grieving father of the teenage Bengal girl - gang-raped twice and allegedly set ablaze - Saturday said the family would meet President Pranab Mukherjee Jan 7 amid mounting protests in the city. Read more
* The parents of the Indian-origin teen girl, who died after being gang-raped and set on fire in the eastern of Kolkata, have vowed to fight for justice. Read more here
* Protestors in Bihar demand death for Bengal rape accused. Read here
* Minister accuses CPI(M) of doing politics over body of the16-year-old gang-rape victim. Read here
* Bengal hits out at Bihar for compensation to rape victim. Read here
* Bengal gang-rape: Victim cremated amid political row. Read here
* Protest have erupted across the city of Kolkata abhorring the accused.