4th militant found dead in Uri encounter

Body was spotted in the debris in Kalgai village; Army is now scouting and sanitising the sector deliberately

Latest News
4th militant found dead in Uri encounter
Picture for representation only

The toll in the Uri encounter climbed to four after the body of another Pakistani fidayeen (a member of suicide squad) was recovered from the debris at the Kalgai village in Baramulla district on Monday.

Colonel Harpreet Singh, deputy commander of the 12th Infantry Division, said the fourth militant had probably equipped himself with the suicide belt. "A fourth body is lying there. Going by the way things are exploding, he probably had a suicide belt and we do not want to endanger anybody's life," the officer said.

On the night of September 23, the Indian army thwarted a Uri-type fidayeen attack when they intercepted a group of newly-infiltrated militants before they could unleash mayhem, in the Kalgai village of the Uri sector along the Line of Control (LoC).

"The Army received specific information from sources about the presence of suspected terrorists in the adjoining area of Kalgai camp on the night of September 23. The Army then established the cordon in the area by midnight and intercepted the terrorists while they were moving," said Colonel Singh.

On exchange of fire, a militant took shelter in a house and took the residents hostages. "The civilians were rescued and taken out in a very deliberate operation. After the day-long firefight, four likely foreign terrorists were eliminated and large quantity of war-like explosives were recovered from them, including IEDs," he said.

Colonel Singh said that while one terrorist was killed early morning, the remaining kept the troops engaged by moving from one house to other, taking advantage of the thick foliage and maize fields.

"Keeping sensitivities in mind, the mosque in its vicinity was cleared by police. Now, the search operation is still underway and we plan to clear whole sector," he said.

Colonel Singh said these terrorists were well-equipped with explosive and intended to carry out a major attack on the Kalgai camp of the Army. He added, "A lot of explosions are taking place. Operation is still undergoing and we plan to sanitise the whole sector."

Averting disaster

On September 23, the Army received inputs about the presence of suspected terrorists in Kalgai
Militants took shelter in a home and took residents hostage
One killed in morning, the others kept engaging Army
Search and combing operation still underway

Find your daily dose of news & explainers in your WhatsApp. Stay updated, Stay informed-  Follow DNA on WhatsApp.

Live tv