Twitter

Ahmedabad Metro may score, where BRTS didn't

Survey finds that Metro rail's superior quality and amenities may encourage upper class to use it

Latest News
article-main
File photo of people travelling in Ahmedabad Metro
FacebookTwitterWhatsappLinkedin

The Metro Rail service may encourage more people from the upper class to use public transportation, a survey by an Ahmedabad-based institute has found, which also points out that AMTS and BRTS offer better accessibility.

The survey was conducted using a structured questionnaire by MBA students of Chimanbhai Patel Institute of Management and Research over a fortnight in February. It covered 5,000 respondents, of whom 60% were males, and the rest 40% females. Half of the respondents were from Ahmedabad West, and the rest from Ahmedabad East, where the first stretch of Metro Rail became partially operational last week.

"More than 65% of the respondents said that because of its superior quality service, upper-class people may be encouraged to use the Metro. Over 67% of those surveyed said that amenities such as air-conditioning, free Wi-Fi, and comfortable seating may encourage travellers to opt for Metro over AMTS and BRTS," Dr Richa Pandit, associate professor of marketing at the institute said.

In western part of Ahmedabad, many people who do not avail of either of the two existing public transports, said they look forward to using Metro, she said.

The Ahmedabad Metro's 6.5km stretch from Vastral Gas station to Apparel park station was flagged off by prime minister Narendra Modi on March 4. The service was thrown open for public on March 6. The rides would be free till March 15. Over 50,000 people have availed the free Metro rides so far.

The entire Metro project, which includes the 20.74 km East-West corridor from Vastral Gam to Thaltej, and the 18.52 km North-South corridor from APMC to Motera, is targeted to be completed by December 2020.

In the survey, three out of five respondents were of the opinion that Metro's accessibility would be difficult in comparison with AMTS or BRTS, and that they would remain the preferred mode of travel. Nearly 72% said that the project would boost Ahmedabad's image from a Mega city to a Metro city.

The Gujarat Metro Rail Corporation, which has executed the Ahmedabad Metro project, has fixed Rs5 as the minimum fare, and Rs10 for a travel distance of 2.5-7.5 km. However, 62% of the respondents in the survey feared that the fare would be very high.

"They feel that the fare is low right now, but it will be high going ahead," said Pandit.

As per the findings, 75% of the respondents opined that the project had affected real estate pricing, while 55% said that Metro route through residential areas was not a viable option.

WHAT’S NEW

AC, free Wi-Fi, comfy seats put metro above amts

6.5 km – stretch from Vastral Gas station to Apparel park station was flagged off by PM Narendra Modi on March 4

20.74 km – East-West corridor from Vastral Gam to Thaltej is targeted to be completed by December 2020

‘REAL ESTATE PRICING AFFECTED’

  • As per the findings, 75% of the respondents opined that the project had affected real estate pricing, while 55% said that Metro route through residential areas was not a viable option
     
  • “They feel that the fare is low right now, but it will be high going ahead,” said professor Richa Pandit. The Gujarat Metro Rail Corporation, which has executed the Ahmedabad Metro project, has fixed Rs5 as the minimum fare, and Rs10 for a travel distance of 2.5-7.5 km
Find your daily dose of news & explainers in your WhatsApp. Stay updated, Stay informed-  Follow DNA on WhatsApp.

Live tv