Home »  News »  World

Twin-drone attack toll rises to 17 in Pakistan

Thursday, 7 January 2010 - 5:31pm IST | Place: ISLAMABAD | Agency: PTI
3 more bodies were retrieved from the alleged Taliban militant training camp hit by the hellfire missiles in North Waziristan yesterday.

Signalling that it isn't pulling back on covert operations, US has indicated that drone attack to target Taliban and al-Qaeda bases would continue as the death toll from missile strikes rose to 17, with the recovery of more bodies.

Three more bodies were retrieved from the alleged Taliban militant training camp hit by the hellfire missiles in North Waziristan yesterday.

In two-back-to-back strikes the US unmanned Predators targeted the area from where the US suspects that the attack on its top secret CIA base was masterminded and carried out.

The area hit by the drones, US officials suspects harbours large number of militants of the Haqqani network as well as Pakistani Taliban and al-Qaeda.

Seven militants were injured in the attacks carried out at Sunzali village, 30 km from Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan Agency.

The training base was frequented by foreign militants. A senior government official in Peshawar told the Dawn newspaper that reports from the area indicated that 17 militants were killed in the attacks and the toll could increase.

The first strike occurred at 3.30pm and two missiles hit the compound. The second strike took place an hour later when militants were retrieving bodies and helping the injured, a resident of Sunzali said.

He said the area had been under the control of the Taliban and those killed in the first strike were "guests", a term used for foreign militants.




Jump to comments