Home » World

Outrage over 'insensitive' Malaysian airlines text sent to families of MH370 passengers

Monday, 24 March 2014 - 10:14pm IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA web desk

Prime Minister of Malaysia Najib Rajak spoke to media in a press conference and said that new satellite data had been obtained which concluded that Malaysia airlines flight MH370 had ended crashing into the Indian ocean. While, there was simmering hope among family members that the plane would be found, this revelation put a disastrous end to those hopes. 

"MH370 flew along the southern corridor and it’s last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean west of Perth," Prime Minister Rajak said at Putra World Trade Centre Monday in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 

"This is a remote location, far from any possible landing sights. It is therefore with deep sadness and regret that I must inform you that, according to this new data, Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean.” he added. 

Malaysian airlines went ahead and sent out text messages to family members about the announcement which was termed 'insensitive' by many. The message stated that the plane was officially lost and no one survived. There was a huge outcry on social media over the insensitivity.

But, the Malaysian airlines came forward and clarified that the families were informed in person as well before the text messages were sent. 

"As the Prime Minister said, respect for the families is essential at this difficult time. And it is in that spirit that we informed the majority of the families in advance of the Prime Minister’s statement in person and by telephone. SMSs were used only as an additional means of communicating with the families." read the statement put on the website.

The text read as follows: It is with deep sadness that Malaysia Airlines earlier this evening had to confirm to the families of those on board Flight MH370 that it must now be assumed the flight had been lost. As the Prime Minister said, respect for the families is essential at this difficult time. 

And it is in that spirit that we informed the majority of the families in advance of the Prime Minister’s statement in person and by telephone. SMSs were used only as an additional means of communicating with the families. Those families have been at the heart of every action the company has taken since the flight disappeared on 8th March and they will continue to be so. 

When Malaysia Airlines receives approval from the investigating authorities, arrangements will be made to bring the families to the recovery area and until that time, we will continue to support the ongoing investigation.

Below are some of the Tweets from the location where the families were informed and reaction on social media about text messages sent by Malaysian airlines: 

 

Watch the heart-breaking video that shows how the family members reacted to the news: 

 


Jump to comments