Former Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed on Wednesday sought refuge in the Indian High Commission in Male, where he went immediately after issuance of an arrest warrant against him by a Maldivian court.
"He has sought refuge in the mission", official sources said in New Delhi. After this development, senior officials, including National Security Advisor and Foreign Secretary got into a series of meetings to decide on the issue.
Nasheed also tweeted, "Mindful of my own security and stability in the Indian Ocean, I have taken refuge at the Indian High Commission in Maldives."
According to Indian officials, the former Maldivian President had sought a meeting with High Commissioner DM Mulay, who flew back to Maldives early morning today from Delhi. However, they did not say when was the meeting sought.
"Nasheed has also moved for a stay against the arrest warrant," official sources said.
The arrest warrant was issued against Nasheed by a Maldivian court after he did not turn up for his previously scheduled trial hearing at Hulhumale' Magistrate Court on February 10 in the case regarding detention of Chief Judge of the Criminal Court Judge Abdulla Mohamed in January 2012.
Meanwhile, anti-riots police have surrounded the Indian mission and police have set up barricades around the High Commission area.
However, Maldivian President Mohammed Waheed's official spokesperson Imad Massod told PTI that the forces will not enter the Indian mission.
"Nasheed was summoned to the court on Sunday but he did not go. The court last night issued an order to the police to bring him to the court under arrest. Currently he is in the Indian High Commission. The police is waiting for him to come out. They will not enter the High Commission premises," he said.
Meanwhile, Nasheed's colleagues at the Maldivian Democratic Party met to decide on the future course of action.
The former President was on an visit to India after being granted permission to depart the country by the court.
Despite his permitted travel period expiring on February 9, Nasheed returned to Male on February 11, Minivan News reported.
Nasheed stepped down as president of Maldives in February last year after months of protests following the judge's arrest. He has said he was forced out in a military coup.