Former South African President Nelson Mandela died peacefully at his Johannesburg home on Thursday after a prolonged lung infection on Friday.
His wife, Graca Machel, and some of his three children, 17 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren were with him in his final days, with other family and friends in attendance.
The former president's body will most likely to taken to the Waterkloof Military Base in Pretoria, where it will be embalmed and prepared for public display.
In a televised address on Thursday night, President Jacob Zuma said: "Our nation has lost its greatest son. Our people have lost a father.
"What made Nelson Mandela great was precisely what made him human. We saw in him what we seek in ourselves."
We take a look at some of the biggest moments to remember Nelson Mandela:
1) Nelson Mandela's first TV interview in 1961
2) Nelson Mandela released in 1990
3) Nelson Mandela inauguration speech in 1994
4) Nelson Mandela presents trophy at 1995 Rugby World Cup
5) UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Nelson Mandela's outstanding character
6) Invictus brings an epic story on Nelson Mandela and his struggle to help unite his country.