Dozens of diners fell ill with food poisoning at Noma, the two Michelin-starred restaurant in Copenhagen.
The world’s best restaurant for three years in a row has been censured by the Danish food inspectorate after 63 out of 78 customers who ate there over a four-day period last month suffered from a norovirus that causes vomiting and diarrhoea, the Independent reported.
The restaurant, run by Rene Redzepi, who has worked at El Bulli and the French Laundry, and Claus Meyer, issued an apology after Denmark’s food authority found that poor hygiene in the kitchen was to blame for the outbreak.
Noma was also criticised for not disinfecting its kitchen quickly enough to prevent the virus from spreading. There was also no hot water in the taps that staff used to wash their hands.
According to the Copenhagen Post, the eatery was inspected late last month after diners became ill with what is known in Denmark as Roskilde virus.
Noma acknowledged that internal procedures had not been good enough and that an e-mail from an employee reporting his sickness had not been seen in time.
The managing director, Peter Kreiner, said: “Since the outbreak we have worked closely with the health authorities to get to the bottom of it and find the source of infection.”