President Nicolas Sarkozy said on Monday that burqas had no place in France as they were a sign of the subjugation of women.
During a solemn speech to parliament on a range of issues, Sarkozy backed an initiative launched by legislators last week who expressed concern over an increase in the use of burqas in France. "The issue of the burqa is not a religious issue, it is a question of freedom and of women's dignity," Sarkozy said.
"The burqa is not a religious sign, it is a sign of the subjugation, of the submission of women. I want to say solemnly that it will not be welcome on our territory," he said to strongapplause.
Referring to a cross-party initiative by close to 60 legislators last week, who proposed a parliamentary commission to look into the spread of the burqa and find ways to combat the trend, Sarkozy said it was the right way to proceed. "A debate has to take place and all views must be expressed. I tell you, we must not be ashamed of our values, we must not be afraid of defending them," he said.
- India is ready to write new chapter of ties with China: Salman Khurshid
- Eight killed, 10 policemen kidnapped in Iraq's Sunni heartland
- Nawaz Sharif calls for party meet on May 20 to discuss policies
- Bombs against Iraqi Sunnis kill 49
- North Korea fires three short-range missiles
- Pakistan to free 51 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Pakistan frees 51 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- 'India, China can reduce mistrust with faith in each other'
- Silvio Berlusconi's 'bunga bunga' party girl danced while dressed as Barack Obama
- US court dismisses human rights violation case against Parkash Singh Badal
- IPL 6: RCB stay in hunt beating CSK by 24 runs in final league game - 4 hours ago
- Bet on it. Your mango is ripened using carbide - 12 hours ago
- Wife's query may fix Ajit Chandila - 16 hours ago
- IPL 6: Kings XI Punjab crush Mumbai Indians by 50 runs to sign off in style - 8 hours ago
- Adam Gilchrist bids adieu to the IPL by taking first wicket in competitive cricket - 4 hours ago
- What mindless fools they have been: International media on Sreesanth, Chandila and Chavan - 3 hours ago
- One more bookie arrested, Sreesanth's laptop, iPad seized in connection with IPL spot-fixing, says Himanshu Roy - 8 hours ago
- Karnataka polls: Siddaramaiah expands Cabinet, 28 Ministers sworn in - 14 hours ago
- Adam Gilchrist demands life bans for 'IPL spot-fixers' if found guilty - 10 hours ago
- Kim Kardashian and baby to join Kanye West on tour - 9 hours ago