David Beckham will consider offers from six countries, including a potential move to Paris St-Germain, after announcing that his five-year stint at LA Galaxy will end next month. Beckham will leave the club after the Major League Soccer final against Houston Dynamo, and a two-week tour of the Middle East, before deciding whether to continue his career with "one last challenge".
PSG are understood to be one of a raft of clubs interested in offering Beckham a deal, with the player's advisers also anticipating offers from Premier League sides. Carlo Ancelotti signed Beckham to the first of his two short-term AC Milan contracts when he was coach of the Rossoneri, and the former England captain believes he may be offered another deal by the Italian, who now manages PSG.
Paris would offer an attractive proposition personally as well as professionally, though he would accept only a deal that offers him regular football, rather than one that uses him as a promotional tool for the regeneration of the Qatari-owned club. The PSG project has developed since the Qataris bought the club, and the value of a player who, at 37, is now in his footballing dotage may be debatable to a side hoping to challenge for the Champions League.
Just as appealing to Beckham could be an offer from Shanghai Shenhua. Two Brazilian sides, Corinthians and Flamengo, are also thought to have expressed interest, as have clubs in South Africa, Australia and Russia. Beckham will make a decision following conversations with his family.
While the long-haul destinations will have some appeal, Victoria Beckham and their four children are settled in Los Angeles and European destinations may appeal more. In a statement Beckham said: "I've had an incredibly special time playing for the LA Galaxy, however, I wanted to experience one last challenge before the end of my playing career."
Beckham made 114 appearances for LA Galaxy, scoring 18 times and reaching three MLS finals, winning one, with the chance to add a second in this year's final. Last week Beckham's spokesman dismissed claims by Football Federation Australia that he was in negotiations for a spell in the A League, but yesterday (Tuesday) two clubs, Perth Glory and Melbourne Heart, said they would chase his signature. Scott Munn, chief executive of Melbourne Heart, said the club planned to offer the -midfielder a 10-week deal worth about pounds 1million.