The controversy-marred Indian Olympic Association elections took a dramatic twist on Sunday with Randhir Singh withdrawing his nomination for the post of President.
"IOC sent a letter two days back and it was clear from that letter that these elections would not be recognised by them.
"The letter was written by none other than IOC chief Jacques Rogge and Olympic Council of Asia President Sheikh Ahmad Al Fahad Al Sabah and I, being an IOC member, cannot go against the institution to which I belong. That's why I am withdrawing my candidature," Randhir said.
The International Olympic Committee had earlier warned the IOA of a possible ban on the national sports body if government regulations are followed in its poll on December 5.
Randhir met Returning Officer Justice VK Bali to withdraw his nomination, adding a new twist to the polls which have seen a bitter campaign between the rival factions of Randhir and Abhay Singh Chautala.
Randhir said that he has been "pained" by the "slanderous campaign" that has been carried out against him and said that has prompted him to pull out of the elections.
"There has been a slanderous and malicious campaign against me by some people in the IOA. I will expose them but I do not want to stoop to that level," Randhir said.
He said his rivals have been raising the issue that an IOC member cannot contest the elections, but there are no provisions in the IOA Constitution which bar an IOC member from contesting.
"They have been raising such issues just to prevent me from contesting. I am a former shooter who has represented the country and I am not a person who hankers for positions. I have been in sports administration for long and their allegation that I am hankering for this position will be proved wrong," he had said earlier in the day.