Earlier, it was spoken in hushed tones and nothing was on record. Now, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) fears none and makes its demands loud. It has come out in the open, wanting a greater share of revenue made by the International Cricket Council (ICC).
The BCCI said it is a “just” and “legitimate” demand and will try to convince the ICC’s board of members comprising the 10-Test playing nations.
BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel said: “Our share should be proper and just. BCCI will always raise the question, which so far has not been done. It is for the first time that we have thought of this after studying all the data and financial research of ICC.
“According to President Srinivasan, myself and a few others, we have worked out good options and those have been discussed on the sidelines of the IPL meeting”
Patel said the BCCI is confident that the demand will accepted, “The members will support because it is a question of legitimate support. Unfortunately, no one has raised this issue in the past. BCCI has, for the first time in the history of ICC and as a full member of the ICC, put forward such a legitimate issue through president Srinivasan.”
Asked if BCCI will use its financial muscle to get it done, Patel said: “It is not muscle twisting but our legitimate issue. There are a lot of options that are being discussed. It is not an absolute percentage share or something.”
In the ICC’s profit-sharing model, 75 per cent of the profits are equally divided among full-member nations like India, Australia, Sri Lanka, England, Pakistan, New Zealand, West Indies, South Africa and Zimbabwe, while the remaining 25 per cent is distributed among the associate members.