Lalit Modi, the former IPL chairman and founder, was today officially declared the president of the Rajasthan Cricket Association.
Modi who currently lives in exile in the United Kingdom, after claims of threats against his life in India, was declared the winner of the RCA polls only on Tuesday, even as the elections to the RCA were held on December 19 2013.
Facts About Lalit Modi
- Lalit Kumar Modi was born into a wealthy and successful business family. His father Krishan Kumar Modi is Chairman of Modi Enterprises, a USD $5 billion business empire, which was founded by his grandfather, Gujar Mal Modi, who also founded the town of Modinagar.
- Modi is noted to have been a brilliant sportsman and used to play a number of sports, including cricket.
- On March 1, 1985, while a sophomore, Modi was arrested on charges of conspiracy to traffic cocaine, assault and second-degree kidnapping. On April 2, 1985, Modi and another student were indicted. Modi pleaded guilty to the crime when the case was heard in the Durham County court, North Carolina and later entered a plea bargain, which resulted in a suspended two-year prison sentence.
- In 2002, he launched an online lottery business in Kerala called Sixo. He later went into the real estate business in Rajasthan, with a company called Amer Heritage City Construction Pvt Ltd, where his wife, Minal, is a director.
- Fast cars and various addictions were his passion. At a young age he fell in love with no less than his mother’s friend.