It's yet another disappointing World Cup campaign for England. Suffering successive 2-1 defeats to Italy and Uruguay confirmed the exit of the 'Three Lions' from the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Touted to be in the 'Group-Of-Death', England's chances of qualification were minimal with the likes of Uruguay and Italy in the same group. England's failed attempt to qualify for the knock-out stage means that it is for the first time that they are out of the World Cup group stage for the first time since 1958.
England first faced Italy in their opening group match, but lost 2-1 to Italy despite equalizing the score immediately after conceding. But the Azzurri proved to be too strong for Roy Hodgson's men and eventually won.
With Costa Rica surprising the world by beating Uruguay 3-1, England's clash with Uruguay was a do-or-die for both the teams. Suarez, who had missed Uruguay's opening match due to an injury, returned on time for the match against England. Despite not being 100% fit for the match, Suarez ridiculed the English defense, scoring two goals which confirmed England's exit from the World Cup.
Costa Rica yet again shocked the world after they defeated Italy and went on the top spot of Group D (Group-Of-Death). Having won the previous two games, Costa Rica will be difficult opponents for England. A victory for Costa Rica will ensure the top spot in Group D, with Italy and Uruguay battling each other for qualification into the Round-of-16.
Here are some of the stats for the clash between England and Costa Rica:
* This will be the first match ever between England and Costa Rica
* If Costa Rica avoid defeat, they will finish as the top team in Group D.
* Costa Rica have scored in all seven of their previous World Cup meetings with teams from Europe.
* England have not lost all three group games at a major tournament since the 1988 European Championships.
* England have never recorded zero points in a World Cup group.
* Victory over Italy meant that Costa Rica have won successive World Cup matches for the first time.
* England have been eliminated at the first group stage of a World Cup for the first time since 1958.
* Wayne Rooney has scored one and assisted the other of England’s two goals at this World Cup.
* Roy Hodgson has lost his last four games at the World Cup, two with Switzerland and two with England.
* England have conceded eight goals in their last three World Cup games, as many as the previous 14 games combined.
* Costa Rica have already qualified for the last 16. The last time they reached the knock-out stages was 1990.
* Wayne Rooney, Glen Johnson & Leighton Baines have created 15 of England’s 26 goal-scoring chances at World Cup 2014 (five each).
* Danny Welbeck has had one shot and created no chances in two appearances at the 2014 World Cup.