Wigan 2 West Ham 1
Wicked commentators might argue that any team managed by Sam Allardyce would be well suited to playing at a stadium where, for a portion of the year, try-lines are marked 100 yards apart.
Yet West Ham United are evolving into something more than the up-and-under prototype favoured by Allardyce. Set-pieces will always be an asset but for every Andy Carroll there is a Yossi Benayoun. For every Kevin Nolan, there is a Mark Noble.
That such balance was not showcased here in a deserved defeat to Wigan Athletic - who won at home for the first time this season - meant an opportunity was missed to move into the top four at a ground where modern West Ham began its journey.
In May 2011, the club was relegated at Wigan in an afternoon that typified performances throughout a campaign of embarrassment. Two goals ahead, they lost in injury time and Avram Grant was dismissed in the tunnel before he could even reach the dressing room.
It prompted an extreme transformation in culture and there have been few disappointments since.
One of Allardyce's inconveniences, however, came last summer when he failed to secure the signing of Ivan Ramis, who decided instead to join Wigan from Real Mallorca. It was Allardyce's plan to pair the Spaniard with James Collins. As it transpired, Collins was supposed to be organising his defence when Jean Beausejour delivered a corner and Ramis was left unmarked.
Allardyce later claimed that Ramis pushed Winston Reid to gain space, but even he could not argue about the quality of the volley which spectacularly zipped past goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen.
Wigan manager Roberto Martinez called it a "striker's strike". It was the second time this season Ramis has scored against West Ham, his other goal coming in a 4-1 Capital One Cup victory.
The pattern from there was set: Wigan passed, moved; passed, passed, moved. The visitors chased and, during moments of significance, stood still.
Allardyce bemoaned his team's technique. On that front, Wigan were "10 times better", he said. "We were ridiculously poor."
A second goal arrived from a similar process to the first. Shortly after the break, Beausejour crossed, West Ham did not look too bothered about it and James McArthur trundled into the box to strike home a volley.
Allardyce substituted two midfielders for forwards and reverted to scrimmage. James Tomkins hit the bar in one such movement and later headed in a consolation. But possession was regularly surrendered and with a limited line of supply the approach was otherwise hopeless.
- David Warner facing Cricket Australia disciplinary hearing over Twitter outburst ahead of Ashes
- Sir Alex Ferguson leads Paul Scholes, Michael Owen and others on 'retirement road' following 'farewell' draw with West Brom
- IPL 6: Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs, knock Bangalore out
- Sir Alex Ferguson stunned Man U players, staff with 'Don't call me boss again' final order
- Stuart Broad bowls England to emphatic victory against New Zealand
- Rafael Nadal defeats Roger Federer 6-1, 6-3 to lift seventh Rome Masters title
- IPL spot-fixing scam: 3 more arrested
- Many names from Maharashtra coming up in IPL spot-fixing probe: Neeraj Kumar
- Board of control over nothing
- Serena Williams wins Italian Open in straight sets against Victoria Azarenka
- Moon meteor blast 'visible to naked eye on Earth', says NASA - 19 hours ago
- Mourinho set for solo Chelsea return without Ronaldo after Real president dismisses move - 19 hours ago
- IPL 6: Delhi Daredevils lose by 38 runs to Pune Warriors, finish last - 21 hours ago
- IPL 6: Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs, knock Bangalore out - 17 hours ago
- Manchester City agrees on record 54 million-pound deal for Atletico Madrid's striker Radamel Falcao - 1 day ago
- IPL spot-fixing: Marine Drive U-turn, the operation that took down Sreesanth & Co - 4 hours ago
- Kompany, Silva, Hart threatened to quit Manchester City if Roberto Mancini wasn't sacked - 19 hours ago
- Call-centre employee held for uploading obscene video of girl on web - 16 hours ago
- Plum posts for Siddaramaiah's men, glum faces among veterans - 2 hours ago
- Ranbir Kapoor is the only one competing with big boys: Ranveer Singh - 23 hours ago