LG Electronics today officially took the wraps off the LG G Flex, a smartphone curved to follow the contour of the face. The company claims that this is the first device to offer such a design in the smartphone market.
The phone uses flexible OLED screen technology to allow for a dramatic curve on the horizontal axis. The specs include thickness of the phone is between 7.9 and 8.7mm at various points, weighs 177g, and has a 6-inch 720p display.
Inside there's a 2.26GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor, 2GB of RAM, a 13-megapixel camera, and a 3,500 mAh battery.
Key Specifications :
* Chipset: 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800 (MSM 8974) GPU: Adreno 330, 450MHz
* Display: 6-inch HD (1280 x 720), Curved P-OLED (Real RGB)
* Memory: 2GB LP DDR3 RAM / 32GB eMMc
* Camera: Rear 13.0MP / Front 2.1MP
* Battery: 3,500mAh (embedded)
* Operating System: Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2
* Size: 160.5 x 81.6 x 7.9 - 8.7mm
* Weight: 177g
* Network: LTE-A / LTE / HSPA+ / GSM
* Connectivity: BT 4.0 / USB 3.0 compatible / WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) / NFC
* Color: Titan Silver
* Other: TDMB / Hi-Fi 24bit, 192kHz Playback
LG G Flex also features the Rear Key first introduced in the LG G2.
The LG Flex will be available in Korea starting in November through all three major local carriers. Availability in additional markets will be announced thereafter.
The most unusual part of the Korean press release is that LG claims that the phone has self healing technology and compares it to Wolverine from X-Men. What the company might be indicating is that the phone is scratch proof. It is rumoured that a special protective film on the back cover is designed in such a way that it gets rid of scratches on the phone in a matter of minutes. Now if that is true or not will only be known once the phone is in my hands.