Home »  News »  India »  Pune

Sea swallows six at Dapoli

Monday, 26 May 2014 - 8:06am IST | Place: Pune | Agency: dna

The family of 20 were out on a picnic on the beach
  • Anant Sharma on of the survivors from the accident that claimed six lives dna Correspondent dna

Pune: Fun and frolic turned into tragedy for a Dattawadi-based family of 20, who did not realised how violent the seas can get during high tides. The family were out on a picnic to Anjarle beach near Dapoli, which is around 190 kilometers from Pune, where six people lost their lives including a couple and children. A 8-year-old boy is still missing, and rescue operation were underway on Sunday until late evening.
The deceased have been identified as Pawan Dangi (6), Sangeeta Oza (34), Shruti Dangi (15), Shyam Dangi (27), his wife Sarita (25), and Kusum Sharma (25). Aarpan Sharma (8) is feared drowned, while Anant Sharma (15) has been miraculously rescued. A case of accidental death has been registered at the Dapoli police station.
As many as 20 members from Dangi, Oza and Sharma families from Sahakarnagar and Dattawadi area in Pune had travelled together in a mini bus to Anjarle beach near Dapoli on Sunday. Purushottam Dangi, deceased Pawan’s father, runs a medical store in Dattawadi area. He said, “Sangeeta Oza and Kusum Sharma were my sisters. It was a family outing, and we were travelling with Shruti Dangi, who is our neighbour. We were in Konkan for a trip. Later, we visited the Ganesh temple in Anjarle village, and halted at the beach for a while. Aarpan’s father Vijay and me had gone to village to make lunch arrangements.”

Pramod Makeshwar inspector in-charge of Dapoli police station said, “It was low-tide, and the ball which the children were playing with fell inside the sea. Pawan, along with Shruti and Aarpan went in to retrieve it. Pawan’s uncle Shyam found his nephew drowning, and jumped in to save him. Then his wife Savita jumped in the water to save Shyam. In the meanwhile, other family members started calling up the police and local residents for help.” He added, “Pawan and Anant were unconscious when they were rushed to the hospital. Pawan died undergoing treatment, and Anant is now stable. Speed boats from Murud were hired for rescue operations. Although the rescue work continued for more than seven hours, we are yet to retrieve Aarpan’s body. We fear that he has also drowned. Shyam and Shruti’s three-year-old son survived, as he was playing with his grandfather.”

Jump to comments

Recommended Content