Home » Pune

Months on, National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) sits on highway safety plan

Monday, 2 June 2014 - 10:02am IST | Place: Pune | Agency: DNA

Pune: The Pune traffic police recently submitted a detailed report of 20 accident prone areas on the 34-km stretch from Katraj to Kivde Phata on the Pune-Bangalore highway, to National Highway Authority of India (NHAI), asking them to take necessary steps and make the highway safe for commuters.
All the NHAI did was conduct a joint inspection along with the city traffic police in March and promised that they would close open punctures and install crash barriers to avert any major mishap. However, the NHAI has not carried out any work. In stead they blame citizens for creating open punctures which were closed by them recently.
NHAI project director, Rajesh Kaundal, will be carrying out a safety inspection of the 34 km accident prone zone along with the traffic police department and local police.
Kaundal said, “After the safety inspection which was carried out two months ago we have closed over 20 open punctures. All the punctures were opened by residents. We will carry out another inspection and urge traffic and local police to make sure closed medians are not open.”
The Pune traffic branch is unhappy over the traffic safety arrangements on Pune-Satara highway and has communicated its dissatisfaction in writing to the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) seeking immediate action on the proposed safety measures as more than 130 people have lost their lives in the last three years on this stretch.
Deputy commissioner of police (traffic), Vishwas Pandhare, said, “Despite the fact that we have sent several letters to the NHAI to take safety measures on the stretch at the earliest and after we have carried out the safety inspection in November last year, there have been around four accidents in which six casualties have been reported since then.”


Jump to comments

RELATED