Craving for food proved costly for a 19-year-old law student who got stuck on the parapet of her third floor apartment on Tuesday afternoon while trying to enter the room through a balcony window. After a harrowing wait of nearly two hours, she was rescued by firemen.
The girl identified as Sruthi Praveen (19) is a student of Symbiosis Law School. The incident took place around 1.15 pm after she returned to her rented flat at Prakash Apartment near Deep Bangla Chowk.
“I live with two roommates. On reaching home, I realised that the keys of the apartment were not with me. I tried calling my roommates but none of them answered. I was famished and couldn’t control my hunger pangs. My apartment is on the third floor and the terrace is just above it. I decided to go up the terrace and get down to the ledge adjacent to my room’s balcony through which I could get inside the apartment,” Praveen said.
The girl went up the terrace but when she got down on the ledge, she realised she was trapped.
“I couldn’t get to the balcony nor climb up the terrace. I kept screaming for help. The residents of Sumeet Society which is next to our society heard my screams and called the fire brigade and the police,” she said.
Fireman Gajanan Patrudkar said that it took one hour to rescue the girl. “The girl was stuck on the ledge and was scared to go either way. We brought her down by ladder,” he said.
After being rescued, Sruthi admitted that trying to enter the house through the balcony was a foolish idea.
“Had it not being for the nearby residents and firefighters, I could have come to harm,” she said.
Teen saves infant trapped in locked flat
A teenager came to the rescue of a trapped one-and-a-half-year-old infant at Prathamesh Nagari in Vadgaon Budruk.
Kavya Bali was trapped in her own apartment as her mother Sujata had gone to the market to buy groceries, accidentally locking the child inside.
When the mother returned, she was unable to open the door despite frantic efforts.
She was trapped inside for 45 minutes. The society members tried to rescue the child, failing which they informed the fire department.
However, before the fire brigade reached the spot, a neighbour, Amodh Mahagavkar (18), who returned home from college and was apprised of the situation, decided not to lose time.
The teenager climbed up from his kitchen balcony to Bali’s second floor apartment and opened the balcony door to everyone’s relief.