Home »  News »  India »  Mumbai

Temple and children washed away

Thursday, 31 July 2014 - 6:15am IST | Agency: dna

Bababai Pandurang Ankush had a very close shave with death as she was stuck in three feet waist-high debris in the outskirts of the ill-fated village for nearly two hours. She is one of few surviving people to be pulled out alive in one piece.

However, she was not rescued by the rescue teams but by her nephew who lived 30kms away and had rushed to her village when he got news of the tragedy.

Amol Ankush, the 28-year-old nephew of Bababai, narrated his struggle to pull out his aunt from the clutches of death.

Amol, who works with a co-operative credit society, said he received a call at 7.45am that the hill on the side of the village had 'come down' and the entire village was buried."My cousin's wife informed me about the incident and I immediately rushed to the village," said Amol, who rushed from Ghodegaon village, about 30kms from spot.

Amol's aunt house along with two others located on the edge of village are the only few structures saved from wrath of the landslide while all others are covered in the debris.

The landslide almost covered heart of the Malin village but these 4-5 houses were saved. "My aunt and sister-in-law had headed out for fieldwork when it happened. There was so much confusion that my sister-in-law, who ran in another direction to save her life, couldn't locate my aunt due to the chaos. When I reached the village, I found my aunt was stuck in waist deep high debris and with the help of other villagers, I pulled her out," he said. Later, he dropped both Babubai and Vaishali at his residence at Adivare, a nearby village, where the family runs a grocery shop.

Recalling the stories of horror that he heard in the village, he said that generally when it rains heavily, children from the village head to a nearby odha (stream) to see huge fish which come from the river. On the ill fated day, a group of children had gone to watch the fish and were returning but a few children walked ahead and had reached the Hanuman temple at the entrance chowk of the village while few other children were hanging behind. That's when the children lagging behind heard a 'big' sound and in a flash, the temple and their friends disappeared from their sight.

Jump to comments

Recommended Content