Supreme Court decision dashes last hopes of Campa Cola residents

Wednesday, 4 June 2014 - 7:30am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

The Supreme Court's dismissal of the Campa Cola residents' plea on Tuesday against demolition of the illegal flats in the society, has left them dejected.

Several residents are left with no option but to start packing their belongings. "As of now, we have decided to pack our belongings and move to the tents that we will be putting up behind our society. Depending on the BMC's next plan of action, we will decide when to move there," said Vidya Srinivas, a member of the society.

Some residents are also planning to carrying out protests when the BMC comes for demolition. They are also contemplating meeting chief minister Prithviraj Chavan, as a final resort.

Nandini Mehta, another resident of the society, said that society members are disappointed that the chief minister refused to offer any help, despite his promise in the last Nagpur assembly session.

"If needed, we might have to vacate the flats today. Even today, if the CM wants, he could have applied his special powers and seek opinion from the attorney general and the solicitor general on the issue. But, he just wasn't interested," said Mehta.

Karan Sethia, another resident, said, "I am not sure if any of the residents are going to submit their keys to the BMC. I, on my part, will definitely not handover the keys of my flat."

BJP leaders, who had been supporting the residents, were busy in paying homage to Union minister Gopinath Munde, who passed away on Tuesday in Delhi.


Jump to comments