A sessions court on Wednesday granted interim relief to Michael Ferreira, 75, former world’s Billiards champion and one of the accused in the multi-crore QNet scam case.
Ferreira had approached the court presided over by judge DA Dholakia, seeking anticipatory bail in the case till January 31. However, the court has asked him to regularly to report to the Economic Offence Wing (EOW Unit III) office from January 27 to 30, between 11am and 2pm.
Ferreira’s anticipatory bail application, a copy of which is with dna, states that the applicant (Ferreira) has been falsely implicated in the Rs425-crore scam.
“...while speaking about the Q- Net scheme, it is an E-Commerce company and a purchaser purchases a product online of his own free will. This transaction is purely between the purchaser and the company, and the money is paid directly to the company, thereby the product is delivered directly to purchaser’s registered address. This entirely shows the applicant did not have any role in the said transaction. Also the entire case appears to be a civil case and that the applicant has no concern with the crime. There is no single allegation against the applicant, and since no case is made out against the applicant, thus there is no need of custodial investigation of the accused (sic),” the application read.
The prosecution had opposed the application on the ground that the applicant is not in the country and, hence, isn’t cooperating.
However, senior advocate Mahesh Jethmalani, along with advocate Kedar Patil, who were appearing on behalf of Ferreira, told the court that the moment Ferreira left for Kuala Lumpur for medical treatment, the Mumbai Police issued a lookout notice against him. “Hence, I request the court to stay the notice, which will allow the applicant to attend the investigation,” Jethmalani said.
The court granted Ferreira interim relief while asking him to be present at the EOW office and cooperate in the investigation and not tamper with evidence in the case.
The EOW has arrested nine team leaders of QNet so far for allegedly duping investors by offering to sell products such as magnetic disks, herbal products and holiday schemes through fraudulent practices.
The EOW has issued summons to Danesh (in pic), son of actor Boman Irani, in connection with the Rs425-crore QNet scam. The agency has asked Danesh to appear before it on Friday. QNet officials, however, have said that Danesh Irani has no stake in the company and was only associated as an independent representative.