The Bombay high court has stayed a summons that had been issued to actor Salman Khan in a ‘contempt of court’ complaint. Justice ML Tahilyani stayed the notice till further orders.
The summons was issued to Khan by the Bandra metropolitan magistrate’s court. Khan had approached the high court, seeking that the complaint against him be quashed.
The complaint against Khan had been filed by an activist, Hemant Patil, before the magistrate.
Patil’s complaint stated that Khan had posted court orders in legal cases against himself on his website www.salmankhanfiles.com. The activist’s contention was that, by doing so, the actor had committed contempt of court as the matters were sub judice.
Patil’s complaint said that Khan, who faces trial in a 2002 hit-and-run case, had posted case-related matters on his website. Following this, the magistrate had, on July 10, issued summons to the actor.
In the high court, Khan pleaded that he had created the website to ensure that there was no incorrect reporting by the media and that the website gave factual information about his cases and nothing beyond that. He also said that he had not committed any contempt of court. The actor pleaded that the complaint and summons issued to be set aside.
On Monday, Patil’s advocate appeared before the high court and sought time to file their affidavit. Justice Tahilyani granted three weeks to Patil to file the affidavit.