Power tariff reduction issue under consideration: Prithviraj Chavan

Wednesday, 29 January 2014 - 8:30pm IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: PTI

The reduction of power tariff in Mumbai is under consideration and all aspects of the issue are being studied, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said here today.

Talking to reporters after the weekly cabinet meet, Chavan said he has already held two meetings to work out formulas to reduce tariff. "All aspects are being studied including audit of the power companies. A practical decision has to be made since private players supply electricity to Mumbai," he said.

Chavan did not comment on allegations of Congress MP Sanjay Nirupam against RInfra, the power company which supplies electricity to Mumbai suburbs, made in a letter sent to him yesterday. "Please ask him," Chavan said.

Nirupam, who was on a hunger strike last week to demand reduction of power tariff and withdrew his agitation on January 26 after being assured by Chavan that a decision will be taken in the cabinet meeting. The MP from Mumbai North was on strike seeking lowering of rates for power consumers in the metropolis, which was excluded from the recently announced cut in tariff.
Mumbai was excluded from the government's January 21 decision to slash rates by 20 per cent for domestic consumers, industries and powerlooms served by the state-run Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company (MahaVitaran).

Consumers in the metropolis get electricity from private utilities Tata Power, Reliance Infrastructure and also civic agency Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport undertaking.


Jump to comments

Around the web