Panic, suffocation behind most Mont Blanc deaths in South Mumbai

Sunday, 15 December 2013 - 10:17am IST

In the massive blaze that left seven dead and an equal number of people injured as it engulfed the 12th floor of Mont Blanc Apartments at Kemp’s Corner in South Mumbai on Friday, most patients died of suffocation or thermal burns, doctors who conducted the post-mortem said. Panic was another reason.

Thermal burns occur when hot metals, scalding liquids, steam, or flames come in contact with your skin.

One of the dead, identified as Chottu, 17, is believed to have been working as a house help in one apartment. “He had no burns on his body. He died due to inhalation of smoke and suffocation,” said a doctor from Nair hospital at Mumbai Central.

Bodies of producer and diamond merchant Dinesh Gandhi, 66 and his wife Divyani, 63 were completely charred, said doctors at JJ hospital who conducted the post-mortem.

 


Jump to comments

Around the web