Owner escapes unhurt as car catches fire near Mantralaya

Saturday, 26 October 2013 - 8:42am IST | Agency: DNA

A Tata Indigo car caught fire near Mantralaya on Friday afternoon. The owner, who was driving, managed to get out of the flaming car in time, escaping without injuries. By the time the fire brigade doused the fire, the interiors of the car had turned into ashes.

Rajesh Kandvi was alone in the car when the incident occurred. “I refuelled my car at a petrol pump near Mantralaya. Two minutes after driving away from there, the bonnet of my car burst into flames. I have no idea how or why it happened. I was in complete shock,” Kandvi said.

Kandvi got out of the car immediately, following which the fire brigade was called. A fire engine rushed to the spot and doused the fire. “We received the call and went there immediately. We are not in a position to say what caused the fire. A mechanic should be able to ascertain the cause,” said a fire officer who was at the spot.

Nasir Shaikh, a mechanic, said that the fire was likely caused due to a short circuit in the battery. “It must have happened because of an overload. People must check their car batteries regularly, and ensure that the oil in the engine is changed regularly. Servicing of the vehicle is important to detect faults, if any,” he said.


Jump to comments

Around the web