Home »  News »  India »  Mumbai

One killed after tanker cylinders explode at Goregaon

Saturday, 17 November 2012 - 8:30am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: dna

The vehicle was being fuelled at a CNG station in Goregaon (E) when the mishap took place.

An 18-year-old boy lost his life after CNG cylinders in a water tanker exploded, hurtled across the road and hit him in the head in Goregaon (E) on Friday. The water tanker (MH 04 P 2884) was being fuelled at the Bharat Coaltar CNG station at Cama industrial estate in the morning, when three of its cylinders exploded.

Eighteen-year-old Rakesh Saroj was standing across the road from the fuel station and having tea at a tea stall while waiting for his father’s auto to be washed. Meanwhile, Rameshchandra Joshi, 54, the owner of a tea stall, was on his way to serve tea to his usual patrons when he saw a cylinder hurtling towards him.

“I thought of hiding behind a wall to save myself, but at that very instant, another cylinder came flying at the wall, making it come down on me,” said Joshi.  
Although Joshi managed to survive, Saroj wasn’t so lucky. Locals rushed him to the casualty department of BMC-run KEM Hospital at around 8.30am. “He succumbed to injuries within two hours of admission. He was suffering from polytrauma,” said Dr Milind Salve, deputy dean, KEM Hospital.

Another injured, Somnath Surayavanshi, 28, sustained minor injuries and was discharged along with Joshi from the out patient department (OPD) of the civic-run Siddharth Hospital in Goregaon (W) after receiving treatment.  

“We have registered a case under section 304 of the IPC (culpable homicide) against the owner of the tanker, Ramesh Jagannath Dudhar, the driver, Bhushanram Jaiswal, the CNG station owner Ghulam Abdul Rauf Surathiya and the fuel station attendant, Ganesh Shantaram More,” said senior inspector Sudhir Ranshevare of Vanrai police, Goregaon.

Diwali ends in tragedy
Rakesh Saroj, the 18-year-old who was killed after the CNG cylinder hit him on his head, was in Mumbai to celebrate Diwali with his parents. “He was studying in Pratapgadh in UP, and had arrived in Mumbai a week ago. It is so bizarre to even believe that a boy standing more than 100 metres away would die when a cylinder would come flying from nowhere. His parents are simply inconsolable,” said one of Saroj’s relatives

Jump to comments

Recommended Content